Friday, 25 January 2013

Back to the Beeb

So we lean back just like this do we?
Well it was deja vu all over again.

At least we had two days notice, this time, rather than a phone call "can you come tonight?"

So, Wednesday night we had a mad dash after school over to Media City for another audition.   It was set for 4:15, and with not getting back from school until about 3:45, it was a very quick change out of uniform, and straight out to the car!  It's fortunate it's only a five minute trip!

So, after a bit of a dilemma over car parking charges (they are not cheap!) we walked into the foyer at Bridge House, and it was empty ..  Slight panic.. had I got the wrong day?  But the young lady at the desk seemed to know about us, and had a visitor badge already filled out with Eva-Jane's name, so that was OK. However.. where was everybody?

"Oh they've just gone up.  Don't worry, I'll call up."

I'd been given two times, and picked the earlier one, because Eva-Jane had Beavers to go to later on.  We actually arrived about five minutes early, however, it seems the times had been changed, given the absence of the group I thought we were in.  Anyway, after she checked the lists, it turned out they had us down for 5.15.  So, at least it wasn't the other way around ...!

What this meant was we had an hour to fill.  In an empty foyer with seating by the windows, and a large round thing with padded seating in the middle.

.....which played a different sound clip every time you sat on it!

Oh we had fun!   Zingzillas, Tree Fu Tom,  Horrible Histories, Octonauts, I can remember them all, but none grates as much as "I'm Furious!  Furious!   Furious!" over and over ...

But two buttons didn't work,
Eventually other kids started arriving, and they too had just as much fun with it, and they were all playing together really well. I think this helped later, as I was told that they had been a great bunch of kids, "we were a bit worried after the first lot." Oops!

About six years later, we were finally all asked to go upstairs.  At least, I presume we were - Eva-Jane had needed the toilet, and when we came out, the foyer was bare!  Everybody had gone!

We raced around the corner and found them just going through the security gates, so tagged onto the end of the line.  Oh the shame - first ones there but last in the queue!

It took three lifts worth to get every body up to the sixth floor.. And fancy lifts they were too - none of your "up or down" call buttons and hope the next lift that arrives really is heading in the right direction - no, press the number of the floor you want, and it tells you which lift to go to!  Cool!

Once upstairs, it was a simple bit of form filling, then they whisked the kids off to play.  Us parents were left to our own devices.  I spent a fair bit of time playing Angry Birds on the phone, until the "5% battery left" warning made me stop... I did get a bit of a chat with Billy, one of the Executive Producers on the show, which was good.  Very nice chap, and I hope we get a chance to meet again.

The kids were a good half hour late coming out of the audition room, which I hope is a good sign. Everybody seemed pleased with them, and I got some very positive comments about Eva-Jane particularly.  She got herself a free copy of the CBeebies Weekly magazine with an art set on the front, which pleased her immensely, and a McDonalds on the way home, which she also enjoyed!

They are seeing, in Billy's words, "hundreds of kids", so I'm not on tenterhooks waiting for the phone call, but I have this little tingle of hope.

We were, in the end, at MediaCity for three hours.  As such, we missed Beavers, but it was good experience, and she had a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment